Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas shopping

I feel like I remember reporting each year how Christmas shopping goes with kids. This year I've managed to do a little bit either with only Oliver or completely alone, but I did have to take both of them a couple of days. I guess overall it wasn't that bad - after a magnificent meltdown in one store, they were pretty good the rest of the day. I had to drag Ben away from the toy section, which set him off, but Oliver chose the same time to get really upset. Oliver has a new special cry that is like SHRIEK breathe SHRIEK breathe. And the SHRIEKs are ear-splitting and sound really serious. So Ben is having a tantrum and wants me to hold him and Oliver starts crying (shrieking) to be held. I need to get one more thing before we leave the store so I hold both of them and do some pacing and shushing. One sympathetic lady tells me I'm doing fine. I see another lady plug her ear. Lovely. I guess I don't blame her. :-)

1 comment:

Donna Chieves said...

I am so proud of Joanna. So often I see children having a "magnificent meltdown", or even just quietly crying as if they know they won't get any attention so it doesn't matter. I want so badly to give them a hug. Sometimes it is so obvious to me that all they need is someone to hold them and pace for a minute, like Joanna said she did.