Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Other random updates

So much to catch up on!

Oma and Opa sent a Halloween box with some chocolate marshmallows in it. I think I already said that Ben can make one marshmallow last all day. He licks the top over and over until it gets shorter and shorter. He puts it on his dresser at night and picks it up in the morning. He called the chocolate ones "socket smushmallows."

Every evening when Ben has been at Wee Creekers, his language has improved. On Wed and Thur nights, he speaks in sentences! We probably undo all the progress they make with him on Wed/Thur during the rest of the week. Words he still says funny:
Penguin = pengoon
favorite = fwavite
broke = bloke
I know there is more, but can't remember them...

This morning Ben didn't want to go to Wee Creekers because he had an owie on his thumb. I put a bandaid on his (invisible) owie and by the time we got there his "owie was all better" and the bandaid had to come off.

Ben's favorite thing to say this past week is "I'm sick!" and "I'm hurt!" I guess because we say it to him when he has a cold. If we ask him where he is hurt, he'll say his leg (or something else) is "bloken." Anytime he hurts himself falling or bumping, etc. he wants the ice pack. He holds it on for a few seconds and then declares everything better.

Oliver is 6 months old! And he has two little bottom teeth! And he weighs 19 lbs 10 oz! (down to the 83 percentile now) And he has started solids, though he doesn't seem to like them much. He definitely looks at our food longingly, so perhaps he is disappointed that he gets mush while we get pizza, etc. We made some delightful pureed sweet potatoes with the lovely baby food maker Aunt Wende gave to Oliver.

Oliver got FOUR shots at his 6-month doctor appointment this week. And he cried for less than 10 seconds! I'm sure he has been toughened by Ben. Ben is still always very sweet to his "Yiv" but he "plays" a little rough. We try not to leave them alone together. I did for a few minutes the other morning and when I came back in the room Ben was straddled on top of Oliver, sitting on his stomach with all his weight and yelling and what was Oliver doing? Smiling up at him! Ben can make Oliver laugh just by laughing.

Oliver went with me to a library conference in California and was great company. In the rental car I heard a new catchy popular song enough times to really start to like it (a few more times and I would be tired of it). Oliver had no opinion of it, but Tim didn't like it when I played it for him back at home. Then it came on the radio with Ben in the car and I turned it up loud. Ben yelled "Bee not yike this song!" I guess I am alone in my musical tastes. :-(

Ben has his own version of the first four letters of the alphabet. When I try to tell him it is A B C D, he says "No, ACDB!" But he says it really fast so it sounds like "Aysidibee."

We finally talked Ben into sledding after last week's snowstorm. He laughed and laughed and said things like "That went fun!" "That was fwazy!" (crazy) "That was funner!" When Tim and Ben came in from the snow, Tim made some "all natural" hot chocolate that just did not taste good. Ben took one sip and said "Good!" and then didn't drink any more. After a while, he said "All done." Tim thought he was being very polite.

I'll try to post more often!

No comments: