Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sleep update

Let me bore you some more with our favorite subject: Sleep.

We went to see our beloved pediatrician, Dr. Callie Black, on Friday and she referred us to a behavior specialist who has had 100% success with all the sleep problems referred to her. We're very excited for someone to give us a plan and hold us accountable for sticking to it. Let's all cross our fingers.

I feel the need to qualify some of my comments in my previous Cry It Out post:
  • When I say Tim commandeered the night time, I supported him and was in agreement that it was time to try that method. I made it sound like he was being like a dictator, but he wasn't.
  • I do try to keep perspective and I do realize that these sleep problems will seem minor and so inconsequential when it comes time to deal with tantrums, peer pressure, puberty, bullying, school violence, drugs and sex, broken hearts, etc etc etc. It's just that the not sleeping takes on enormous proportions when you are tired and it seems like it will never end.
So a quick update: Ben goes to bed pretty easily in his crib at 7:30 0r 8:00 and on bad nights proceeds to wake up EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES, and on good nights every hour. The good result from our cry it out week is that Tim actually soothes him back to sleep faster than I do, so Tim goes in and finds him sitting up and lays him back down and he goes back to sleep. Tim is responsible until about midnight, and then it's my turn, and I usually end up sleepwalking with him back to our bed, where he proceeds to wake up every hour (in ideal conditions (next to Mommy)). He wakes up kinda violently, with arms and legs flailing, and then can't seem to get comfortable again, tossing and turning. It's weird. He actually slept for 2.5 hours straight last week and since it made us worried about him, we went in to check on him and found him asleep sitting up!

So, I really hope the behavior specialist can help us! We're exhausted!

Have I said yet during this post that he is the sweetest baby ever and I love him so much!!

1 comment:

grambrosier123 said...

I LOVE THIS BLOG!!! and so the rest of the library ladies. i can hear them chuckling in the background.

grammy