Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Waggoner Boys Updates

This past weekend I was making lunch in the kitchen and Ben stepped out onto the deck. He said "Mom! Baby deer!" and I thought "Huh? Does he see a deer and he wants Oliver to look at it?" I went to look and sure enough, there was a baby deer in our yard!! It was as big as a medium-sized dog and had the baby deer spots. We scared him and his mom and they left quickly. Ben knew what he was talking about!

We bought a potty in hopes of someday potty-training Ben. He thinks it is neat, and understands what it is, but shows no signs of really using it. We did some pretending with poop made out of play-doh and had some laughs. Then we took his diaper off and tried to convince him to at least pee in the potty. He sat down on it several times and seemed to try, but then he walked 5 feet away and peed on the floor. Who knows what that means? We've heard advice from other moms of boys to just be easy-going about it. We'll see!

Oliver is starting to smile a little more and it is the cutest thing in the world. His whole face changes. I can't believe what a good sleeper he is, and you can't believe how thankful we are! Let's hope it continues. He has a bad case of infant acne or heat rash on his face and neck and his beautifully clear skin is gone. It seems like it itches because he clumsily scratches his face all the time.

We went to Delaney's birthday pool party this past Saturday (Delaney is my boss' 3-year-old daughter). It was pretty cloudy and almost cold, even down in Westminster (what's up with this weather??), and Tim and I and the other parents were discussing the weather and the fact that it was actually nicer than having the sun blaring down and worrying about reapplying sunscreen over and over. That evening Tim and I were appalled at ourselves because Ben had a really bad sunburn on his back. Even though we were all discussing sunscreen, and we KNOW that the UV rays still come through the clouds, we neglected to put sunscreen on poor Benny and he got his first bad burn. We've failed him!

Otherwise, it was a fun party, and it sure is nice to hear the laughter of toddlers!

Ben has begun a disturbing habit of picking at scabs. I wonder how much of it is an instinct (animals pick at themselves) or if he has learned it from watching Tim and me. In any case, he has picked at a scab on the bridge of his nose until it is a horrible sore. I don't even remember what it started as, but picking has really enlarged it. Along with all his other owies, he looks like a pitiful, beaten-up little kid.

No comments: