Sunday, April 5, 2009

So much fun!

Benny has been in such a good mood these days, and entertains himself so well. he makes up fun games for himself and lets me rest on the floor or couch. He makes us smile constantly and laugh often. I can't believe how cute and sweet he is (or how cute and sweet I think he is, I'm sure I'm biased). But when I try to be really objective, he just seems so good-natured compared to some other toddlers I've known. Some random moments in the last few weeks:

- Benny was trooper with me during a marathon shopping day Friday. Twice he pointed out a restaurant from the car (not chains) and said "Eat! Yum!" How did he know they were restaurants?!? When we finally did stop for lunch at Noodles, he was so appreciative, in his usual way: "Yum, umm! Eat!" and told me repeatedly to sit down and eat (I was making sure he had water, etc). He pointed out the potty several times, which was a new discovery for him (public restrooms). He spent about half the shopping time in the cart, but he can stay there only so long, so I'm proud to say he really ran away from me only once and had only 1.5 tantrums, in a good 6 hours of shopping/driving.

- Many of his small tantrums still revolve around putting shoes and coats on and off, but they don't last long. His big tantrums are so understandable: we stop and get 3 Chipotle burritos after work (yes, he gets his own and eats almost all of it!), and he cries all the way home because he is hungry and doesn't want to wait to eat his "rito." I don't blame him! Do you? I am doing better about keeping snacks in the car, but if he has his mind set on that burrito, he doesn't want anything else. Or he sees a really fun-looking car at Walmart he wants to play with, but we're both at the end of our ropes, so I don't take the time to let him play with it. That would break my heart too, wouldn't it yours?

- He tells me when it is too hot in the car by saying "hot." And then when he likes the temperature better he says, "Hot - better!" and smiles and nods. He also directs me to roll the windows up and down.

- His "mad" face has continued, and I guess he might be getting it from books and TV. He scowls and rolls his eyes up, which does look like a picture of Thomas the Train looking mad in one of our books. But the face is so deliberate, not a natural frown. It's like he learned what components make a mad face and he is working on each one. He actually says now, "Minnie mad!" But you can make him smile or laugh in a second by kissing or tickling him.

- On our days off we'll go upstairs to my bathroom, where he likes to slide and roll cars in the tub. He also explores my drawers and now knows what eyeshadow, mascara, and eyelash curlers are for. He puts makeup on me and himself. He loves lotion too.

More later!

No comments: