Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Big little boy

Benny's jeans are too short today and his legs seem so long and skinny. When he's in a good mood, he tries so hard to be grown up and helpful. He walks around so confident and could pass for a 6-year-old.

"Da-ee" turned back in to "Daddy" this week. I wonder why.

One time he gave something to Tim and said "There you go, Da-ee." We haven't heard it again, so we wonder if we heard right.

His thank yous are so sweet and cute, and occurring more often. When he wants us to get something, he says something that sounds like "Geetle it."

Tim came home with a slinky for Ben and they had a blast trying to get it to walk down the stairs. When it worked right, Ben screeched with laughter.

Ben's favorite movie this week is one of the Jurassic Park movies and I think he is saying "dinosaurs" when he says "raars." I can't really tell the difference between his word for scissors, dinosaurs, and stairs. He has one more word he uses every day but we can't figure out what it is.

At our neighborhood Mexican restaurant, Ben ate a spoonful of salsa despite our warnings. We watched his face turn red, he started to cough, and he said "owie!" He reached for his milk at the same time we pushed it towards him. He took a long drink and then smiled and said "Berder!"

He's doing the thing I think most children do: saying "Hold you" instead of "Hold me" because parents say "you want me to hold you." I love it and he sounds so sweet while he stands with his arms stretched up towards me. He does seem to be getting "you" and "me" a little bit, but he gets them mixed up, which is cute.

I'm sure I've said before that one of his standard greetings is a lion's roar. We've been pointing out babies a lot to try to get him used to the concept and the last baby we saw got a nice loud lion's roar from Ben. Poor thing.

Have I said before that he refers to himself as Minnie? I guess it's similar to the way bunny comes out "money" even though he says B just fine with other words. He likes to inventory the family a lot: Mommy, Daddy, Minnie, sometimes Pippi and Yinn. And if the three of us have something, like a drink, he'll point out that we all have one: Daddy, Mommy, Minnie, pointing to each.

One late afternoon I walked in the door from a walk and thought Ben was still asleep, but he turned around the corner of his recliner and said "Hi Mom!" like a teenager!

He loves trying to screw, but instead of a screwdriver, he likes to use his pliers, and he calls it "turning." We should make a little board with some big screws in loose holes and let him have at it.

I'm ashamed to say he knows how to load DVDs in the machine. When one of our movies was finished last week, he took it out, put it carefully away in a case, and put Madagascar in the machine.

Several times now Tim has said "Hey Ben, let's go outside!" and five minutes later Ben comes back with his shoes on and says "'mon Da-ee." We're glad he seems to like the outdoors again.

More later!

No comments: