Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Overheard at the dinner table

Ben:  I'm sorry I spilled a little of that.
Tim:  I think you need to stop apologizing so much, Ben.
Joanna:  Yes, let's definitely try to teach you to apologize less than I do.
Oliver:  I'm sorry for saying I'm sorry.
Joanna:  Oma says in most cases, we can replace I'm sorry with "that's too bad..." "what a pity..." because that is what we are really saying. We aren't taking responsibility for something or apologizing, we are just empathizing.
Ben:  Wow, Oma is savage.
Ben couldn't explain what he meant, but let's take it as a compliment!

Ben is currently missing his top canines and the bottom molars next to the canines, so he has symmetrical holes. I told him we could put a horse bit in his mouth and pull him. He said, "Sounds like child abuse, but ..."

Tim was letting diluted ranch dressing drain out of his wrap. Oliver says, "Are you milking your burrito?"

No comments: