Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oliver's language

I tracked Ben's language so well, I hate that I'm not documenting Oliver's as much.  He is already speaking in sentences, so here's some tracking and back-tracking:

- doggy or ducky = "goddy"
- milk = "mook"
- motorcycle = "keekle"
- bicycle = "bikle"
- airplane = "ah-ben"
- please = "pease"
- thank you = "tin tu"
- lotion or soap = "shope" (which he loves to slather in his hair)
- santa claus = "shanta kaw"
- mommy = "mo-i" sometimes, like Ben used to say "da-i," skipping the consonants
- blanket = banket
- dump truck or monster truck = "tu tuck"
- scissors = "shishu"
- diaper = "dipu"
- He says sorry a lot (again, where did he learn that? :-)).  If he accidentally hurts you, he rubs your chest and says "shawy."  He also says it when he doesn't need to, like when Ben does something wrong, or when I do something wrong.  I try to tell him he doesn't need to be sorry.
- He often includes a grunt in front of nouns, which we take to me "I want," such as "uh juice" or "uh cheese."
- On Wee Creekers days, I take Ben in and Tim takes Oliver in, and Oliver waves to me and says, "Bye...Mommy" and "Bye...Ben" and tries to say I love you.  It comes out, "I yuyoo."
- There is a pause between his words, which I hope isn't a sign of future stuttering.  One movie we watched had a character saying, "Hello Iggy," and Oliver liked to repeat that.  He said, "Hallo... Iggy" and it was so cute, but there was a weird pause between the words.
- When Ben is being nice to him, Oliver is super sweet about thanking him.  One day Ben opened Oliver's lunch box in the car, and then opened the tupperware inside it, and both times I heard Oliver say, "Tin tu ... Ben."  Then sometimes Oliver also says his version of "you're welcome," which I think sounds like "wekom."
- Good news that Oliver already talks about his diaper being wet or being poopy - hopefully he will potty train a little earlier than Ben.
- Oliver also seems to be using "I" - he'll say "I found it!" or "I got it!"  I suppose he could be just repeating what he hears, but it seems like he is saying a sentence from scratch.

No comments: